LaRoo, the owners of Mocks mobile phone socks
Launching in 2004 with 12 designs, LaRoo needed to undertake market research to identify designs to produce for the next Mocks season. Whilst LaRoo CEO, Lara Solomon, had a background in marketing and a general idea of creating questionnaires she was lacking practice.
Masterclass hosted by Kate Tribe
LaRoo CEO, Lara Solomon attended our Customer Feedback: for small business workshop in 2006.
The challenges for LaRoo were:
- to increase understanding of survey design; types of questions and how to ask them
- to create a survey to see if LaRoo’s monthly store newsletters (mailed at a cost of $150 plus time each month) were really valued and used by the retailer recipients
- to develop an alternative to face-to-face research on the popularity of potential Mock designs, as these could only be collected in Sydney hindering nationwide predictions
Lara came away from the day with the tools for several new initiatives she has since implemented in her business, including:
- A survey for retailer customers, to explore their thoughts on service, the newsletter and promotional items. It has become an annual barometer of business performance and confirmed their newsletter was valued and service levels to retailers were about 90%. Since the workshop the survey has been instrumental in deciding on point of sale materials for stores.
- Redevelopment of an existing Mock design range survey, with improved questions and an online survey tool. The new survey had increased survey participants from about 100 to 300, broadening the range of participants and making it easier, cheaper and quicker for LaRoo to collect and analyse their research.
Overall, Lara’s attendance at our Masterclass increased LaRoo’s productivity, reduced their risks and enhanced their sales.
Lara has since sent other LaRoo team members to the Masterclass, to ensure that as Lara moves into other areas of the business, she maintains consistency when conducting research and their surveys are still designed to produce optimum results.
Lara was the 2008 NSW Telstra Micro Business Award winner and has published the book, Brand New Day.